Director of the Centro Interdisciplinario de Neurociencia de Valparaíso
Associated Professor at Neuroscience Institute of the Universidad de Valparaíso
Associate Professor, University of Chicago – Adjunct Professor, University of California, Los Angeles, USA.
Member of the council of the Academia de Ciencias de América Latina and Foreign Member of the National Academy of Sciences, USA.
Pasaje Harrington 287, Playa Ancha. Valparaíso
Ion channels are membrane proteins activated by sensing stimuli such as membrane voltage, ligand binding or temperature and transduce this information into conformational changes that open the channel pore. A key question that my laboratory is trying to answer is how do the protein domains involved in sensing stimuli (sensors) and opening the pore (gates) communicate. We are interested in two type of channels transient receptor potential (TRP) channels that confer thermosensation and Ca2+- and voltage-activate K+ channels because they are unique to the extent that they integrate a variety of physical and chemical stimuli.
- Castillo, JP, Rui, H, Basilio, D, Das, A, Roux, B, Latorre R, Bezanilla, F, Holmgren, M. (2015). Mechanism of potassium ion uptake by the Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase. Nat Commun. 6:7622
- Castillo K, Contreras GF, Pupo A, Torres Y, Neely A, Gonzalez C and Latorre R. (2015) Molecular mechanism underlying β1 regulation in voltage- and calcium-activated potassium (BK) channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 112(15):4809-14
- Jabba S, Goyal R, Sosa-Pagán JO, Moldenhauer H, Wu J, Kalmeta B, Bandell M, Latorre R, Patapoutian A, Grandl J. (2014) Directionality of Temperature Activation in Mouse TRPA1 Ion Channel Can Be Inverted by Single-Point Mutations in Ankyrin Repeat Six. Neuron. 82(5):1017-1031
- Cea LA, Cisterna BA, Puebla C, Frank M, Figueroa XF, Cardozo C, Willecke K, Latorre R, Sáez JC. (2013) De novo expression of connexin hemichannels in denervated fast skeletal muscles leads to atrophy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 110(40):16229-34.
- Contreras GF, Neely A, Alvarez O, Gonzalez C, Latorre R. (2012) Modulation of BK channel voltage gating by different auxiliary β subunits. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 109(46):18991-18996