“Centro Interdisciplinario de Neurociencia de Valparaíso”
Research Area: Neuropeptides and Development/Behavior
Laboratory: Neurogenetics of Behavior and Development in Drosophila melanogaster laboratory, Professor John Ewer
Ph.D. Marine, Estuarine, and Environmental Science, University of Maryland and University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, USA
Master in Marine Science, Universidad Católica del Norte, Chile
Aquaculture Engineer, Universidad Católica del Norte, Chile
E-mail: javier.alvarez at cinv.cl
Fax: (56)-(32)-250 8027
Address: Centro Interdisciplinario de Neurociencia de Valparaíso.
Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Valparaíso.
Gran Bretaña 1111. Playa Ancha. Valparaíso. Chile.
All Arthropods possess a hard exoskeleton that protects and supports their bodies. However, this evolutionary successful structure presents a several challenge for their continuous growing. Then to growth, Arthropods must shed their exoskeleton (ecdysis), a process known as the molt. The ecdysis is precisely controlled and triggered by the action of a set of neuropeptide hormones. Therefore, the ecdysis of Arthropods is an excellent model to understand the mechanisms of control and action of neuropeptides over behavior and development of animals. Previously, I have been investigated the ecdysis and shell-hardening process in crustaceans. Now, taking advantage of the powerful Drosophila model, I am moving further to understand the role of some neuropeptides in the ecdysis behavior of insects.
- Alvarez JV & JS Chung. 2015. The involvement of hemocyte prophenoloxidase in the shell-hardening of the new cuticle of the postmolt blue crab, Callinectes sapidus. PLoS One 10(9): e0136916. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0136916
- J Sook Chung, JS Pitula, E Schott, JV. Alvarez, L Maurer and K Lycett. 2015. Elevated water temperature increases the levels of reo-like virus and selected innate immunity genes in hemocytes and hepatopancreas of adult female blue crab, Callinectes sapidus. Fish and Shellfish Immunology doi:10.1016/j.fsi.2015.09.027
- Techa, S, Alvarez JV & JS Chung. 2015. Changes in ecdysteroid levels and expression patterns of ecdysteroids-responsive factors and neuropeptide hormones during the embryogenesis of the blue crab, Callinectes sapidus. General and Comparative Endocrinology 214: 157 – 166.
- Alvarez JV & JS Chung. 2013. Cloning of prophenoloxidase from hemocytes of the blue crab Callinectes sapidus and its expression and enzyme activity during the molt cycle. Fish and Shellfish Immunology 35(5): 1349 – 1358.
- Alvarez JV & J Meruane. 2009. Limb regeneration in the paddle crab Ovalipes trimaculatus (de Han 833) (Crustacea, Brachyura, Portunidae), and its practical use in aquaculture and fishery. Revista de Biología Marina y Oceanografía. 44(2): 285 – 293.
- Alvarez JV, Véliz C & J Meruane. 2009. Molt cycle stages of the paddle crab Ovalipes trimaculatus (de Hann, 1833) based on the external morphology, Revista de Biología Marina y Oceanografía. 44(1): 217 – 225.